For some the holidays are a time of happiness and family but for others it’s a time of dysfunction and despair. As stress, overindulgence, and celebrations increase, so does drug and alcohol use, which generally spikes during the holiday season. Many people think it’s best to wait until after the holidays to deal with a loved one’s drug or alcohol abuse, but the holiday season is actually one of the best times.
Here are the top 5 reasons why it’s best to facilitate an intervention during the holiday season:
- It sends a strong message to your loved one that your entire family is concerned about his or her substance abuse.
- There’s almost no other time of year when your entire family is together in one place.
- Related to this, involving more family members means more people to confront and make a case to the alcoholic or addict that they need to get into drug and alcohol treatment.
- A holiday intervention lets your loved one know his or her health and safety are a bigger priority than your family’s holiday celebrations which lets them know how very critical you think it is that they get some form of drug and alcohol rehab.
- Waiting until after the holidays could result in disastrous consequences for your loved one (or even death) since they will likely be using even more this time of year. It’s a huge risk to wait when, especially if you think their drug and alcohol use will escalate.
It’s possible to make this holiday season a time of hope and transformation for your family. Learn more about staging an intervention or call New Bridge Foundation™ at (866) 772-8491 to find out more information about our free intervention services.
If you or someone you love is struggling with addiction, don’t wait to get help; schedule an intervention now.