Alcohol use disorder is difficult to overcome, often requiring more than willpower alone. Long-term alcohol addiction can lead to serious health problems and negatively impact every aspect of life. One of the most effective ways to overcome alcohol addiction is through professional treatment.
At New Bridge Foundation®, we offer effective, affordable long-term alcohol rehab designed to help individuals overcome their addiction and achieve lasting recovery. With over 50 years of experience, we have been named one of America’s “Best Addiction Treatment Centers” for the past three years, per a survey conducted by Newsweek Magazine. To learn more about alcohol addiction treatment in Berkeley, reach out to New Bridge Foundation® at 866.772.8491 today.
Effects of Long-Term Alcohol Addiction
Long-term alcohol addiction can have serious implications for an individual’s mental and physical health.
Physical Effects of Long-Term Alcohol Use
Among the physical problems that individuals battling alcohol use disorder experience are the following:
- High blood pressure
- Heart problems, such as cardiomyopathy and increased risk of heart attack
- Liver damage, hepatitis, cirrhosis, and liver disease
- Brain impairments due to the neurotoxic effects of alcohol on nerve cells
- A weakened immune system leading to increased risk of infections
- Nerve damage associated with impaired coordination, pain and heat sensitivity in extremities.
- Vitamin B1 deficiency which can lead to Wernicke–Korsakoff syndrome (memory loss)
Psychological and Emotional Effects of Long-Term Alcohol Use
There are also mental health issues associated with alcohol abuse. These include but are not limited to:
- Mood swings
- Self-harming behaviors
- Impulsive behavior, leading to risky activities such as driving while intoxicated or unprotected sexual activity
- Suicidal thoughts and attempts
- Poor concentration and memory problems due to alcohol’s neurotoxic effect on nerve cells in the brain
- Emotional numbness or lack of empathy toward others
- Worsening of existing mental health conditions such as bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, and anxiety disorders
In many cases, individuals experiencing alcohol addiction may not even realize how much physical and psychological damage has been done until they stop drinking and begin the healing process.
Benefits of Long-Term Alcohol Rehab
Long-term alcohol rehab offers a comprehensive approach to addiction recovery that addresses the physical, psychological, and emotional aspects of the disease. It provides individuals with the necessary tools to beat their addiction and lead a more fulfilling life. Among the many benefits of long-term alcohol rehab are the following:
- Individual and group counseling – Our clients receive individual and group counseling, which helps them work through the feelings of guilt, shame, anger, and regret that often arise as a result of their substance use disorder. They also learn new coping strategies for dealing with stressors and triggers without relying on substances.
- Education about addiction – Clients are provided education about addiction so they understand it better and can recognize if they’re at risk for relapse in the future.
- Relapse prevention strategies – Through counseling sessions and self-help groups, clients develop the skills needed to maintain sobriety once the treatment program has been completed.
- Holistic therapies – Holistic approaches such as health and wellness activities including meditation can help address the physical, mental, and emotional aspects of recovery simultaneously. These therapies also foster relaxation, which is beneficial during stressful times when cravings might be stronger than usual.
- Building a support network – Long-term alcohol rehab programs give individuals the opportunity to build a support network of peers and professionals who are focused on helping them stay sober. These relationships can be invaluable in providing motivation and guidance during difficult times.
If you or someone close to you might benefit from this level of care, reach out to New Bridge Foundation®’s San Francisco Bay Area treatment center at 866.772.8491 to learn more.
Paying for Long-Term Alcohol Rehab
While the cost of long-term alcohol rehab can be a concern for many, it is in fact, less costly per month than paying for short-term residential treatment. Additionally, it is important to remember the long-term benefits of receiving this specialized type of treatment. Some individuals simply need the benefit of time when trying to achieve long-term sobriety.
Call to Learn More About Long-Term Alcohol Rehab at Our Bay Area Treatment Center
Long-term alcohol rehab can be a life-changing choice for those struggling with alcohol addiction. It involves not just treating the addiction but also addressing the underlying issues that may be driving it. Seeking professional help can provide individuals and their loved ones with the support they need to successfully overcome their addiction issues. If you or a loved one is experiencing alcohol addiction, we encourage you to reach out to our San Francisco Bay Area treatment center. Contact us today at 866.772.8491 or use our convenient online form to learn more.