Approximately 40 million Americans suffer from the disease of addiction. That is more than the number who suffer from cancer, diabetes, or even heart conditions. There are many myths when it comes to addiction recovery. Among the most pervasive is that there is a single effective method for “curing” addiction. In reality, there are many approaches to treating addiction. And this is why it is so important to understand how to choose an addiction treatment center in California.
What Do I Need When Choosing an Addiction Treatment Center?
When exploring how to choose an addiction treatment center, there are several questions worth asking. A good starting point is to ask yourself the following questions:
- What are your treatment goals? What are you hoping to get out of treatment and what substances and behaviors do you want to target?
- Do you have a “co-occurring disorder”? This means that you have an underlying mental health condition in addition to your substance use problem. Addiction specialists usually recommend treating both the addiction and the mental health condition simultaneously.
- What adverse effects of addiction do you most wish to reverse? Has your substance use gotten in the way of your work goals? Has it kept you from developing socially or taking care of your family? It may be useful to make a list of specific behaviors that you would like to improve upon.
Once you have established goals, you can choose an alcohol and drug rehab facility in Berkeley that is best suited to achieving them.
How to Choose Addiction Treatment Center Services?
Choosing the right drug and alcohol treatment center can be one of the most important decisions you make. While it is true that not all doctors have the same level of expertise and competency, the same can be said for treatment facilities. Treatment centers can differ greatly in regards to program components, cost, effectiveness, and staff training and qualifications. The process of finding help can be difficult, scary, and overwhelming. Here are some questions and considerations to assist you in your search.
- Is there a multi-disciplinary staff including physicians, healthcare providers, mental health practitioners, and certified drug and alcohol counselors?
- Does the treatment center use evidence-based practices?
- Does the treatment center treat individuals with co-occurring disorders (also known as dual diagnosis)?
- Is the center “in-network” with your insurance company? If not, what will be the expense to you?
- Does the facility have different program options?
- Does the facility have the appropriate state license?
- Does the program have a family component? If so, what does it consist of?
- Does the program have people in recovery on staff?
- Is the program accredited by the Joint Commission or CARF (The Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities)?
- Does the program pay attention to health and wellness including exercise?
- What is offered in regards to aftercare?
These are just some of the questions that you need to ask when considering how to choose an addiction treatment center and they are an excellent starting point.
Contact New Bridge Today
New Bridge Foundation® offers a wide range of treatment options, including a detox program, short-term residential and outpatient programs, and long-term residential care. We also use a variety of therapeutic approaches that we tailor to the individual. These include individual and group therapies, family counseling in CA, fitness programs, holistic treatment, relapse prevention, and aftercare. Our specialized treatment programs cater to members of the LGBTQ+ community, to members of the military and veterans, and to individuals that suffer from both mental illness and addiction. If you or someone you know is battling addiction, don’t do it alone.