According to the National Retail Federation, about 157 million people will celebrate Halloween this year. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, almost half of all traffic fatalities during Halloween involve a driver or a motorcycle rider with a blood alcohol content level of .08 or higher. With these kinds of statistics, it’s certainly a great time to be clean and sober, and a good time to hang with the “winners”. As we know, holidays can be a trigger, and Halloween is no exception. For some of you out there, this will be the first Halloween you’ve celebrated clean and sober. The good news is that this opens the door for starting new traditions this holiday. Here are our top tips for a Sober and Clean Halloween:
- Come to New Bridge Foundation® Treatment Center’s Halloween Costume Dance on October 29th at the Berkeley Senior Center at 1901 Hearst Avenue. We’ll be hosting a 12-step meeting from 6:00-7:00pm and then the Costume Party Dance from 7:00-9:30pm
- If you don’t live nearby, see if a local drug and alcohol treatment center or local 12-step meeting is spo
- Go old school and pick apples or take a hayride
- Plan your own scavenger hunt
- Host a lawn-decorating contest
- Carve pumpkins
- Pass out candy and make your children or young family members a priority
- Find a sober party or put on your own clean and sober bash
- Go to a 12-Step meeting and out for scary coffee afterwards
- Check out Reddit.com which has a section on sober nightlife in the Bay Area.
The point is that it’s time to see this and every holiday through a new set of eyes and ears. So go have fun and make this a sober and clean Halloween.